Awards are given to members of the United Association of Canada Inc. (UOAC) for their great contributions towards the continuous success of the Association.
Maple Leaf Award
The Maple Leaf Award is the most prestigious award presented by UOAC. It is awarded to a UOAC member or associate who has done outstanding volunteer service for the benefit of UOAC and its members. Any UOAC member is eligible to receive this award, with the exception of members of the Executive council. Chapters are encouraged to submit nominations for this award. Previous recipients are:
- 2012 - Di Bracken, Toronto, ON
- 2010 - Pat Cimmeck, Calgary AB
- 2009 - Annette Weidenfeld, Yarmouth, NS
- 2008 - Roger Ivol, Hamilton, ON
- 2007 - Betty Woolridge, Halifax, N.S.
- 2006 - Bette Yetman, Halifax NS
- 2005 - Mike Woolridge, Halifax NS
- 2004 - Verna Petrie, New Waterford NS
- 2003 - David Metcalfe*, Victoria BC
- 2002 - Judy Steeves, Fredericton NB
- 2001 - Jim DeGeer, Coquitlam BC
- 2000 - Ron Bartlett, Hamilton ON
- 1999 - Sheelah Zapf*, Edmonton AB
Deadline for receipt of nominations for Maple Leaf Award is April 30, 2014. Completed forms should be sent to UOAC office, attention Awards Chair.
Selection criteria is here.
Download a Maple Leaf Award nomination form here.
President's Award can be bestowed on any one of its members or associates. The award is presented annually to the individual, at the Annual Conference, who the President deems to have demonstrated outstanding voluntary service on behalf of the organization. The award can be presented to any member at any level of the organization or to an associate. The award cannot be shared as it carried too much importance. The award will be issued solely on the discretion of the President of the UOAC. The Executive can and may be solicited for their advice but the final decision will rest with the President. The President will make his/her selection and the name of the recipient will be held in secrecy until the time of the awards presentation at the banquet during the conference. A plaque will commemorate the event for the individual and the president or his/her designate will present the award.
- 2012 - Gene Zapf, Edmonton, AB
- 2010 - Ferne Oliver, Fredericton NB
- 2009 - Verna Petrie, New Waterford NS
- 2008 - Astrid Graham, Ottawa, ON
- 2007 - Les Kehoe Ottawa, ON
- 2006 - Lorne Aronson, Toronto ON
- 2005 - Judy Steeves, Fredericton, NB
- 2004 - Roger Ivol, Hamilton, ON
- 2003 - Dielwen (Di) Bracken, Toronto, ON
- 2002 - Elizabeth Lindner, Calgary, AB
- 2001 - Ron Bartlett, Hamilton, ON
- 2000 - Bette Yetman, Dartmouth, NS
- 1999 - Dr. Zane Cohen, Chief of Surgery, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, ON
Enterostomal Therapist Recognition Award
The ET of the Year Award is awarded to an E.T. nurse who has supported ostomates via involvement with his/her local chapter's activities and national functions. The award also enables UOAC members to acknowledge their E.T. nurse for their support and services. Previous recipients are:
- 2012 - Gail Creelman, Halifax, NS
- 2010 - Heather Orsted, Calgary, AB
- 2009 - Teri-Anne Schroeder, Saskatoon, SK
- 2008---Joy Baetz, Oshawa, ON
- 2007---Jean Grignon Sudbury, ON
- 2006---Lorraine Sinclair, Calgary AB
- 2004---Delilah Guy, Gander NL
- 2003---Susan Hunter, Regina SK
- 2002---Ruth Kenney, Dartmouth NS
- 2001---Donna Weiss, Edmonton AB
- 2000---Shirley McSavaney, Nepean ON
- 1999---Dianne Garde, Mississauga ON
Deadline for receipt of nominations for ET of the Year Award is April 30, 2014. Completed forms should be sent to UOAC office, attention Awards Chair.
Selection criteria can be downloaded here.
Download an ET of the Year Award nomination form here.
Renaissance Great Comebacks Award
is designed to recognize persons with an ostomy who:
- Has made significant achievements in his/her life following their ostomy surgery.
- Has made a meaningful contribution to the community or to others around them.
- Has contributed to eliminating prejudicial misconceptions relating to people with ostomies, in society
This Award is sponsored by ConvaTec, www.convatec.ca
- 2012 - Mary Penner , Toronto, ON
- 2011 - Carly Lindsay, Waterford, ON
- 2010 - Mike Woolridge, Enfield, NS
- 2009 - Doug Graham, Ottawa, ON
- 2008 - Judy Steeves, Fredericton, NB
- 2007 - Debra Rooney, Vancouver, BC
- 2006 - Minerva Holton, Moncton, NB
- 2005 - Judy Woods, Fredericton, NB
- 2004 - Sheelah Zapf*, Edmonton, AB
- 2003 - Dr. Kevin McHugh, Hamilton, ON
- 2002 - David Metcalfe*, Victoria, BC
- 2001 - Bette Yetman, Dartmouth, NS
- 2000 - Poldi Olafson, Red Deer, AB
- 1999 - Patricia Cimmeck, Calgary, AB
The Unsung Hero/Heroes Awards are presented to those individuals who always work behind the scenes in any successful organization. They are also dedicated to UOAC, but do not seek the limelight. In fact they prefer to do their work and give their support in an unobtrusive manner.
Click on links below for names and stories: