What is up? Really up? What kind of question is that these days? Well, we can tell you a lot has been going on since the last time we ‘connected.’ (Sorry for the pun). Ostomy Canada is thrilled to share some bits and pieces of news and updates.
- The Nominating/Succession Planning Committee, under the stewardship of Jayne Kerr, was busy looking for a new Executive Director. We are thrilled to announce that Dana Ypma (right) from Burton, BC, has joined Ostomy Canada as the new Executive Director, effective April 3, 2023. Dana brings with her a strategic mindset, leadership, and collaborative experiences. She has over fourteen years of experience in fund development, donor relationships and a wide range of skill sets to help support our Mission. She also brings an intimate knowledge of the ostomy world through her daughter’s journey. Connect with Dana at Dana.Ypma@ostomycanada.ca. Welcome aboard!
- The Visitor Training Program (VTP) online version is now LIVE. On March 28, we sent a complete “launch package” to Chapters and Support Group leadership and Visitor Coordinators. The package outlined the changes and requirements needed to go online. Some of these tools will also impact those that use the binder for group training. One of the most significant benefits of the online version – you can take it anywhere and anytime as long as you meet the data requirements. The new version uses video, improved graphics, voiceovers and reflection points to help support the critical program. Questions? Please connect with Deb.firstname.lastname@example.org or Ann.email@example.com.
- Step Up for Ostomy – this year’s date is Saturday, September 30, 2023, to avoid an early Thanksgiving in October. Start your planning now and get a head start. Stay tuned for more information in the months to come.
- Ostomy Canada’s Board adopted some important new policies in February around Diversity, Inclusivity and Equity, as well as an Ingenious Land Acknowledgment Policy. A full set of revised and updated Governance policies are available through Steve Maybee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You may see a few changes when you visit our website (www.ostomycanada.ca). We are piloting a program with some of our core supporters on “website advertising.” This three-month pilot will help Ostomy Canada test the validity, traffic, and ROI of marketing our website to generate income and awareness/support for you. We are grateful to Inner Good, Wellwise, Hollister, Coloplast, and Convatec for their support in this pilot.
- Our Youth Camp Program is back on for 2023. We hope to host thirty-two or more campers from across Canada to Camp Horizon in Alberta and, as a test, another ten campers to attend Brigadoon Village in Nova Scotia. If you have questions, please get in touch with
- Last month we sent samples of the Bravery Bag Covers (www.braverybagcovers.com) to Chapters, Facilitators, and stakeholders. These covers are free – so please check out the website for more information.
- So where is John Hartman going? Golfing, cooking, gardening, golfing, travelling, family time, being curious, and trying new hobbies (he makes cool things out of discarded wooden pallets). We could say nice things about John and his accomplishments over the past two years – but he wrote this insert, and we all know it was not just John doing the work. Our shared success and applause go out to our Board, volunteers from across Canada, Operational Committees and those that want to forge ahead, make changes, collaborate and build a better future. Thank you. Did he tell you he was going golfing when the snow melts?
April Webinar Postponed
We regret to advise that Ostomy Canada’s National Webinar scheduled for April 19, 2023, will be postponed, but will be excited to host you again on July 19th, 2023. Please stay tuned as we will be announcing the topics and speakers for our upcoming webinars in the near feature. Thank you for your understanding and hope to see you online soon!
This article was published in the Spring 2023 edition of the Ostomy Canada Connects Newsletter. For news, updates and all things ostomy, subscribe to our mailing list!